Financial Aid


Athens Technical College is ready to assist veterans, active duty military personnel, and their dependents in obtaining educational benefits and act as a liaison between the student and the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

All programs of study (majors) at Athens Technical College are approved for veteran's education benefits. Benefits may be used to earn a degree, diploma or certificate.

Contact information for your Veterans' Certifying Official at Athens Technical College:

Bob Hardy
Financial Aid Office
Building H-710
Phone: 706-355-5146
Fax: 706-425-3086

Your connection to information about VA education benefits, in addition to your Veterans Certifying Official, is the "One Stop" VA Education Service website and the VA toll free service number (1-888-442-4551).

Information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Other Programs can be found here - U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Research your options carefully with a VA counselor before you apply for VA education benefits! If you are eligible for both Post 9/11 and Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits, you will lose your MGIB benefits if you choose to receive Post 9/11 benefits! For counseling before you apply for VA education benefits or in order to get answers to questions about your established VA education benefits account, you can call the toll free number (1-888-442-4551) to speak to a VA counselor, or you may visit the web site: You have the ability to ask questions if you speak with a VA counselor or, on the web site, send a secure email inquiry by selecting "Questions and Answers". You may speak with a VA education benefits counselor Monday through Friday during normal business hours.

Request Certification

Please see below for your certification requirements.

I am a:

  • Student who has never used Veteran's Educational Benefits at any college.
    • Apply for benefits: This can be completed online with the Department of Veterans' Affairs. Once approved, you will receive your When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility for VA education benefits, bring a copy to your Athens Tech Veterans' Certifying Official.
  • New student at Athens Tech who has used Veterans' Educational Benefits at another college in the past.
    • Complete the VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)
    • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to your Athens Tech Veterans' Certifying Official.
  • Visiting student from another college (transient).
    • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to your Athens Tech Veterans' Certifying Official.
    • Submit a copy of your transient letter (from your home college) to your Athens Tech Veterans' Certifying Official.
  • Returning student who has been certified for Veterans' Educational Benefits at Athens Tech in past terms.
    • Contact Athens Tech's Veterans' Certifying Official, Bob Hardy.

Once you are receiving VA educational benefits:

  • Certify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month. (This is NOT required if you are receiving post 9/11 benefits.) On the last day of each month, you may call using Interactive Voice Response 1-877-823-2378 and follow the instructions or you may use the internet W.A.V.E. program.
  • Changes in credit hours should be reported immediately to your Athens Tech Veterans' Certifying Official.
  • Repeat coursework - The VA requires that you submit to Athens Tech transcripts from all previous schools. If courses taken previously satisfy course requirements in your program of study here, you cannot retake those courses at Athens Tech and have them certified for payment of VA benefits.  If we certify a course you are taking that is required for completion of your program and our Registrar subsequently applies credit from a previous college that fills that requirement, you will have to repay the VA for benefits paid for that course.
  • VRAP students - In order to receive VRAP benefits from the VA, you must maintain full time attendance at Athens Tech.
  • Direct Deposit - call 1-877-838-2778 to arrange.
  • Change of address - complete VA Form 50-572 available at
  • Questions about VA Benefits Call 1-888-442-4551 or visit

College Credit for military training and experience:

Following are the names of facilities which provide military transcripts to the college:

Air Force CCAF/DFRS,
130 West Maxwell Blvd,
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6613
COAST GUARD US Coast Guard Institute,
5900 SW 64th Street,
Room 235,
Oklahoma City, OK
6490 Saufley Field Road,
Pensacola, FL 32509-5204
877-253-7122 or 850-452-1281
ARMY AARTS Operation Center,
415 McPherson Ave,
Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027-1373