Commercial Truck Driving
Nature of Work
Almost every product sold in the United States spends at least some time in a truck. While planes, trains, and ships are also used to transport goods, no other form of transportation has the same level of flexibility as a truck. As a result, trucks are used to transport everything from canned foods to automobiles. Truck drivers operate these vehicles. Drivers are responsible for picking up and delivering freight from one place to another. This may be from a manufacturer to a distribution center, from a distribution center to a customer, or between distribution centers. In addition, drivers may be responsible for loading and unloading their cargo. They are also responsible for following applicable laws, keeping logs of their activities, and making sure that their equipment is in good working condition.
Truck drivers held about 1.7 million jobs nationally in 2012.Many truck drivers are employed in general freight trucking. Approximately 34 percent worked at general fright trucking firms, and about 13 percent worked for specialized freight trucking firms.
Credentials You Can Earn
- Nonrefundable application fee ($25)
Outside Vendor Fees Prior To Beginning CTDL Courses
- Department of Transportation Physical (Approximately $65)
- Learner Driving Permit ($35)
- NIDA-5 Drug Screen (Approximately $50) — Students may be required to take a random drug screening during the driving portion of the program. Students will be responsible for the cost of the drug screening.
- Seven-year Motor Vehicle Report ($8)
- Tuition ($89 per credit hour)
- Accident Insurance Fee ($4 per term)
- Campus Supply Fee ($40 per term)
- Instruction Fee ($55 per term)
- Parking Fee ($20 per term)
- Campus Safety Fee ($25 per term)
- Registration Fee ($50 per term)
- Student Activity Fee ($30 per term)
- Technology Fee ($105 per term)
- Fuel Surcharge ($185)
Throughout the Program
- Textbooks ($150)
These expenses are based on costs in effect at the time this catalog was published. Prices are subject to change.
Phone: (706) 213-2727