Return of Title IV Funds Policy (R2T4)
The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating the amount of aid a student and school can retain when the student totally withdraws from all classes. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have "earned" only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The remaining 70% must be returned by the school and/or the student. The Office of Financial Aid encourages you to read this policy carefully. If you are thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid.
- This policy shall apply to all students who withdraw or drop out from Athens Technical College, and receive financial aid from Title IV funds:
- The term "Title IV Funds" refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG.
- A student's withdrawal date is:
- the date the student began the institution's withdrawal process (as described in the Athens Technical College catalog) or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or
- the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or
- the student's last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity.
- The percentage of Title IV aid earned shall be calculated as follows:
- Number of days completed by student/Total number of days in term*
- The percent of term completed shall be the percentage of Title IV aid earned by the student.
- Students are responsible for any portion of their institutional charges that are left outstanding after Title IV funds are returned.
- *The total number of calendar days in a term of enrollment shall exclude any scheduled breaks of more than five days.
Worksheets used to determine the amount of the refund or Return to Title IV aid are available upon request in the Office of Financial Aid.