Nature of Work
Chefs, head cooks, and food preparation and serving supervisors oversee the daily food service operations of a restaurant or other food service establishment. Chefs and head cooks are usually responsible for directing cooks in the kitchen, dealing with food-related concerns, and providing leadership. They are also the most skilled cooks in the kitchen and use their creativity and knowledge of food to develop and prepare recipes.
Food preparation and serving supervisors oversee the kitchen and service staff in a restaurant or food service facility. They may also oversee food preparation workers in fast food, cafeteria, or casual dining restaurants, where the menu is fairly standard from day to day. In more formal restaurants, a chef provides specific guidelines and exacting standards on how to prepare each item.
While all chefs have a role in preparing the food, developing recipes, determining serving sizes, planning menus, ordering food supplies, and overseeing kitchen operations to ensure uniform quality and presentation of meals, different types of chefs may have unique roles to perform or specialize in certain aspects of the job. Executive chefs, sous chefs, head cooks, and chefs de cuisine are primarily responsible for coordinating the work of the cooks and directing the preparation of meals. Executive chefs are in charge of all food service operations and also may supervise several kitchens of a hotel, restaurant, or corporate dining operation. A sous chef, or chef's assistant, is the second-in-command and runs the kitchen in the absence of the chef. Many chefs earn fame both for themselves and for their kitchens because of the quality and distinctive nature of the food they serve.
Chefs, head cooks, and food preparation and serving supervisors held 982,740 jobs nationally in 2012. Food preparation and serving supervisors held 88 percent of these jobs and chefs and head cooks held the remaining 12 percent. Employment of chefs, head cooks, and food preparation and serving supervisors is expected to increase by 9 percent from 2015 through 2024.
Credentials You Can Earn
- Nonrefundable application fee ($25)
Outside Vendor Fees Prior to Beginning CUUL Courses
- Knife Kit (Approximately $160 regardless of program)
- National Restaurant Association Test Voucher ($36)
- Pastry Kit (Approximately $310 for the Baking and Pastry Specialist program)
- Uniforms (Approximately $429 regardless of program)
- Tuition ($89 per credit hour)
- Accident Insurance Fee ($4 per term)
- Campus Supply Fee ($40 per term)
- Instruction Fee ($55 per term)
- Parking Fee ($20 per term)
- Campus Safety Fee ($25 per term)
- Registration Fee ($50 per term)
- Student Activity Fee ($30 per term)
- Technology Fee ($105 per term)
Throughout the Program
- Textbooks (Approximately $1,508 for the associate degree program, $1,060 for the diploma program, $550 for the Catering Specialist program, $295 for the Food Production I program, $260 for the Prep Cook program, $445 for the Culinary Nutrition Assistant program, and $565 for the Baking and Pastry Specialist program)
- Supply Fee (Varies — See course descriptions for exact amount)
Outside Vendor Fees at Program Completion
- American Culinary Federation Practical Exam Test ($100)
- Comeria Test Fee ($75)
- Hepatitis B Immunization ($200)
These expenses are based on costs in effect at the time this catalog was published. Prices are subject to change.
Are you ready to apply?
Dr. Alphonso A. Buie is a native of Chicago, Illinois who currently resides in Atlanta, Georgia after living and teaching abroad for 4.5 years in Beijing, China as a Business Professor. Dr. Buie serves as a mentor to individuals seeking to enhance their lives, and strongly believes giving back to others and the communities in which he serves.
After achieving his Doctorate in Business, he began volunteering for organizations such as Rotary International, where he also served as President. He is a recipient of Lincoln University's Prestigious Young Alumni Award, an accolade he received after the university, which is also his alma mater, recognized his efforts in making the world "greater, better, and more beautiful", than it was given to him.
Dr. Buie has over 20 years of operational and managerial experience within the Hospitality industry and currently serves as a Program Chair for Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management for Athens Technical College, where he continues to function as a consultant, public speaker, and author.