Preparing for the ACCUPLACER Placement Exam
The ACCUPLACER exam is an untimed, multiple choice test that tests your knowledge in math, reading, and writing. The test helps to identify your strengths and needs in each subject area.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is it necessary to take a placement test?
- You are applying for college admission. To be successful, you will need to be able to function academically at a certain level in order to be ready for the college work you will be assigned by your instructors. The placement test measures basic skills in Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, Arithmetic, and Elementary Algebra. Your results will tell us whether or not you will need to take learning support courses before going into your credit classes.
- Should I study for the placement test?
- Yes! For review work in all four test areas, you can find study help from the Accuplacer website at https://www.accuplacer.org. Please click on the �Information for Students� tab. You may also check the Testing Services page at www.athenstech.edu/studentAffairs/testing.
- What is the name of the placement test?
- You will be taking the ACCUPLACER, an untimed, computerized placement test. Because the test is untimed, there is no way to predict how long it might take you to complete it, but you should allow yourself at least a 3-hour period of time to be at the testing center. If you are unable to finish before the testing lab closes, you can return for another test session and pick up where you left off. Yes! For review work in all four test areas, you can find study help from the Accuplacer website at https://www.accuplacer.org. Please click on the �Information for Students� tab. You may also check the Testing Services page at www.athenstech.edu/testing.
- What should I bring to the test?
- On your scheduled test date, you must arrive 15 minutes prior to your test session and bring a picture ID with you. All other test materials will be furnished by the College.
- Is it possible to receive accommodations on the test if I have a diagnosed disability?
- If you believe you are eligible for any type of accommodation on the test due to a documented disability, please notify the testing office at 706-583-2728. In order to receive accommodations on placement testing, you must contact the Coordinator of Disability and Career Services at Athens Technical College as soon as possible at 706-355-5006 to learn about the College�s documentation requirements. Once we have received appropriate documentation of your disability, we will make arrangements to test you at a different time and provide you with all approved academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids. We want to provide reasonable accommodations to anyone who is entitled to receive them, so please make sure we know about your situation before you take the test. If you have any questions about qualifying for this assistance, please contact us at 706-583-2728. Disability documentation is always considered confidential between the student and the Office of Disability Services. No information will be released without written permission of the student, except in those emergencies mandated by law.
To prepare for the exam...
Information about the ACCUPLACER Exam
Review basic concepts in math, reading, and writing
Download the free web-based ACCUPLACER study app
Review sample questions in math, reading, and writing